35th anniversary of Make Music Day: a survival guide!
Mark your calendars for June 21st! On the agenda? The 35th anniversary of the Fête de la Musique (Make Music Day in English)!
Why this date? The 21st of June marks the beginning of the summer months.
It all started back in 1982 as a way for the French to celebrate the arrival of better weather and sunny days. It's an event where music is played and heard around the city, for free! Anybody can participate, no matter one's musical competencies or age. To date, Make Music Day is celebrated in more than 120 countries.
Whether you're a musician or a simple spectator, there's a thing or two to know in order to make the most of Music Day. We've compiled some recommendations for you.
You're a musician
If you intend to play in the street:
- Pay close attention to the authorized hours set out by your city.
- Take into account the material you'll be using. It's not so easy to search for electricity for your sound equipment on the spur of the moment.
- Think about protecting your material in case the weather isn't quite summer-like.
- Don't forget to bring a chair. Playing while standing up warrants a break from time to time.
If you're playing inside:
- Reserve a space well in advance, spots go quickly!
- Participants finance concerts completely from their own pocket. Don't count on any contribution from the city or community.
You're a spectator
- Don't forget your umbrella. It may be summer, but the right clothing may make the difference in your experience.
- Ear plugs may be useful, especially if you plan on hitting multiple concerts: loud volumes can affect your hearing.
- We recommend frequent pauses to protect your ears.
- Ditch the car as traffic may be an issue. Take public transport, hop on your bike, or wear your walking shoes. Contact your city for more information or to see if specific transportation will be provided for the event.
- Have fun! :)
Find out more about planned events in your city: www.makemusic.org
Published on: 06/15/2017
Happy 2018! It's out with the old and in with the new, but before leaping into this new musical adventure, let's take a...
Whether death does its sad work or the sirens of alternative success sound for others, when the time rings, group...
Quality is very important to us at Karaoke Version. Thanks to your comments and feedback, we are continuously improving...